Monday, July 25, 2011

Proud to be an American

There are things you don't really realize you are grateful for until you see other people who don't have what you have. Being in Israel on the fourth of July made me realize how grateful I am to live in a country where we unite when hard times and tragedies come. We sang together the national anthem and a girl kind of bore her testimony of why she was grateful to live in the USA. I am so grateful and proud to be an American. We also sang that song "I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me." Those words have never meant so much to me.
Ok, so for the fun part of the night. We celebrated the 4th of July on the 8th, because we were in Bethlehem on the 4th. Our cooks made it a special night and did a big barbeque outside. We had hotdogs, hamburgers, fries, salads, barbequed chicken and steak, and all sorts of good American food that always tastes better when you eat outside.
This is one of my really good friends, Ashton. I have so enjoyed getting to know her. Can you se the gold roof of the dome of the rock in the background?
Sister Jackson, one of our doctors here and some other friends.
We also had a little carnival with fishing games, face painting, American music, and 3 legged races. I felt like a child. The only thing we were missing was a parade!!

These are a couple of my young women that live in the center with me. Carrie and Tashara, they are so sweet and have become my good friends.

I will never forget this fourth of July that I spent in Israel.

No comments: